The BEST gluten-free pancakes, light and fluffy with no refined sugar or dairy! You’ll never have to purchase a boxed pancake mix again!
Over the years we’ve tried many gluten-free pancake mixes, but none of them compare to the taste and texture of these pancakes. Hands down, these are the best pancakes I’ve ever had and the recipe is so simple!
We use wholesome ingredients leaving out the gluten, dairy, and refined sugar. This guilt-free recipe could easily be doubled or tripled for a large crowd, or you could make them for easy grab-and-go breakfasts throughout the week. My husband absolutely loves these pancakes and asks for them every weekend!
Gluten-Free Pancake Ingredients
Gluten-Free Flour: My favorite flour to use in this recipe is Bob Red Mills 1 to 1 Gluten-free flour. It’s an even swap for most wheat-based recipes and produces the best results.
1 Large Egg: For best results, make sure the egg is at room temperature to avoid the coconut oil from hardening.
Oil: The oil used in this recipe is Nutiva Coconut Oil in “Buttery Flavor” but you can also use regular coconut oil, ghee or unsalted butter if dairy is tolerated.
Vanilla Extract: My favorite extract to use is by the brand Simply Organic, made with real vanilla beans. The quality of the vanilla is important for producing the best flavor.
Honey: For extra health benefits, try to use organic, local, raw honey.
Gluten-Free Baking Powder: Not all baking powder is gluten-free, make sure to read the label. This is the main ingredient that helps provide the fluffy texture and structure of the pancakes.
Milk: To keep this recipe dairy-free I use vanilla almond milk. Make sure it is at room temperature before use, to prevent the batter from clumping. Other options include coconut milk or soy milk. In a hurry? A quick tip to bring the milk to room temperature is to microwave the milk in a glass container for 10 seconds.
Salt: This helps bring out the sweetness in the pancakes.
Tips for the BEST Gluten-Free Pancakes
Here are some quick tips on how to make the best gluten-free pancakes.
Measure with a 1/4-inch cup: For even-sized pancakes, use a 1/4 size measuring cup as a scoop, to pour the batter onto a well-greased frying pan.
Flip once the middle starts to bubble: Each side will take 1-2 minutes on medium heat.
Fold in the mix-ins: Folding the mix-ins into the batter allows for even distribution.
Did You Enjoy The Best Gluten-Free Pancakes?
Check out these 3 reader favorites
The Best Gluten-Free Pancakes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil - melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk - room temperature
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the egg, melted oil, vanilla, and honey until well combined. Then add the milk to the mixing bowl, and mix together for 1 minute.
- Next, add in the dry ingredients: gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt. Continue to mix until well combined.
- Take a teaspoon of coconut oil and grease a medium-sized frying pan. Place the frying pan onto the stovetop and turn the heat to a medium setting.
- Pour the batter into a 1/4 sized measuring cup, and dump the batter into the center of the pan. Cook the pancake until the batter starts to bubble in the middle and the edges begin to lift. Flip the pancakes until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately with real maple syrup!
- Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.