Gluten-Free Corn Casserole is one of my family’s favorite recipes! It’s the perfect balance of both sweet and savory with a creamy cornbread-like texture. This no Jiffy Mix corn casserole recipe is perfect for holiday dinners and special events.
Growing up, we would serve corn casserole during Thanksgiving dinner, and it was always the first side dish to be devoured. This nostalgic dish is comfort food at its finest, with minimal ingredients, and super easy to make. You could prepare this casserole the night before to save on time, as it reheats wonderfully the next day. The original recipe uses Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, but to make this recipe gluten-free, we used a combination of gluten-free cornmeal and gluten-free all-purpose flour. No one will be able to tell the difference, it’s that good! It’s the one casserole dish we look forward to every single year, and we always ask ourselves why we don’t make this more often?
This is easy corn casserole gluten-free recipe is made with just a handful of natural ingredients.
INGREDIENTS IN CORN CASSEROLE
This is easy corn casserole recipe is made with just a handful of natural ingredients.
- Gluten-Free Flour: For texture and structure. I love using Bob’s Red Mill brand.
- Gluten-Free Cornmeal: For texture and structure.
- Egg: This will help to bind the ingredients together.
- Unsalted Melted Butter: The butter helps to flavor and moisten the casserole. You can use vegan butter sticks for a dairy-free version.
- 1 Can (15 ounces) Cream-Style Corn (Look for Gluten-Free Brands): Check the labels for gluten-free options. A brand I like to use is Del Monté, which is gluten-free
- 1- Can (15 ounces) Regular Whole Kernel Corn: Any brand will work. You can also use fresh corn that has been cooked.
- Sour Cream: For a Dairy-Free option, use 8 ounces of dairy-Free yogurt with a tablespoon of lemon juice mixed in.
- Sugar: Brings a touch of sweetness. You could eliminate this if you are watching your sugar.
- Baking Powder: Helps the casserole to rise.
- Salt: For flavor.
5 CORN CASSEROLE VARATIONS
There are many ways to adjust this recipe to your liking. Here are some other gluten-free versions:
- Cheesy Corn Casserole: Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese to this recipe, and omit the sugar. You could also use Monterey Jack Cheese, Mexican Cheese, or Colby Jack Cheese.
- Spicy Corn Casserole: You can add 1 cup of cheese with a few slices of jalapenos, and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder. Omit the sugar.
- Sweet Corn Casserole: For an even sweeter version, bump up the sugar to 1/2 cup. This produces a dessert-style dish. Another option is 1/4 cup of honey or maple syrup.
- Egg Free: If you leave out the egg this will create a “corn pudding recipe”. The egg produces a light and fluffy cornbread-like texture resembling a corn soufflé, but it is not required.
- Vegan or Dairy-Free: Skip the eggs, substitute the butter for Vegan Butter Earth Balance Sticks, and use dairy-free yogurt with a tablespoon of lemon juice in place of the sour cream.
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN-FREE CORN CASSEROLE
This recipe requires one bowl and can be made in under an hour! Simple ingredients bursting with flavor!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a round 2 1/2 inch qt ceramic dish or an 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- Open the can of whole corn kernels and carefully drain the water. Add the corn to a large mixing bowl with the rest of the remaining ingredients. Stir everything until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the casserole dish and bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes. The outer edges will be slightly golden brown and the center slightly soft.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Store any leftover corn casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
CAN YOU BAKE THE GLUTEN-FREE CORN CASSEROLE IN ADVANCE?
Yes! You can bake the casserole 24 hours in advance. Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and let slowly come to room temperature, for around 30 minutes. Keep the casserole covered. To reheat, simply pre-heat the oven to 300 °F and place the dish in the oven for 30 minutes, or until warmed through.
CAN I USE PREMADE GLUTEN-FREE CORN MIX?
There are a few different ways you can make this recipe gluten-free. One way is to make your own gluten-free corn muffin mix, which is what I provide in this recipe.
I have also used Bob Mills Gluten-Free Corn Muffin Mix with great success, but it’s not always easy to find.
For the Bob Mills version use: 8.5 ounces of Bob Mills Corn Muffin Mix, and omit the gluten-free flour, gluten-free cornmeal, and baking powder.
CAN I DOUBLE THE RECIPE?
Yes, you can double this recipe. Instead of a round casserole dish, bake in a square 9×13 -inch baking dish, adding 10-15 minutes extra time.
IS CREAM CORN NATURALLY GLUTEN-FREE?
No, not all brands of cream corn are gluten-free. You want to watch out for hidden ingredients by checking the labels.
Two brands I like are Kuner’s and Del Monté. Both of these brands use corn starch instead of wheat.
FOR MORE TASTY HOLIDAY RECIPES, CHECK OUT THESE FAVORITES
- Gluten-Free Stuffing (Dairy-Free)
- Honey Roasted Carrots (Gluten-Free)
- Gluten-Free Green Bean Casserole (Dairy-Free)
- Gluten-Free Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
Gluten-Free Corn Casserole (Dairy-Free Option)
- 15 oz can sweet corn, drained
- 14.75 oz can creamed corn
- 1 cup sour cream (see notes for dairy-free option)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (see notes for dairy-free option)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon gluten-free flour (105 grams)
- 2/3 cup gluten-free cornmeal (103 grams)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a round 2½ qt ceramic dish or an 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- Open the can of whole kernel corn and carefully drain the water. Add the corn to a large bowl with the rest of the remaining ingredients. Stir everything until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the casserole dish and bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.