Gluten-Free Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. Crisp on the outside with a soft and chewy center, packed with loads of chips in every bite.
These Gluten-Free Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are one of my favorite cookie recipes. The addition of brown butter takes things to a whole other level. Crisp on the outside with a warm gooey center packed with not one but TWO types of chocolate chips! This recipe is sure to become a family favorite! Unlike other chocolate chip cookie recipes, the chill time is less than 1 hour, which makes it a perfect "day of" dessert. You could also prep the cookie dough the night before, then pop these in the oven about 30 minutes before guests arrive.
The BEST Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies!
What makes these cookies so great? It’s my secret ingredient, brown butter! Adding the brown butter to the recipe is simply a game-changer, producing a buttery caramel-like flavor.
So what exactly is brown butter? Brown butter is simply melted butter, gently cooked over a stovetop on medium heat until the butter turns a toasted brown color. The brown bits in the butter are caramelized milk solids, giving the butter a caramel-like nutty flavor.
Other reasons these cookies are the best:
- Soft-baked center with a chewy texture
- Crisp edges
- Packed with semi-sweet chips and dark chocolate chunks
- Chilling time less than 1 hour
- The best cookies to make year-round, versatile enough to go with many other dishes.
How To Make Brown Butter
Making brown butter is super simple! All you will need is a lightly coated frying pan, a wooden spoon, and a stick of butter.
- Melt the butter in a light-coated frying pan on low-medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Watch closely as the butter begins to melt. Within 2-3 minutes the butter will begin to foam and the milk solids will begin to carmelize producing a nutty aroma and chestnut color.
- Once the color starts to change to a golden brown color, quickly remove the butter from the heat. There is a short window between burnt butter and brown butter, so make sure to watch closely.
- Pour the brown butter into a glass container.
- Make sure to scrape all of the little brown bits into the glass container, this is where the flavor comes from.
How To Make Gluten-Free Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- In a medium bowl whisk the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Make the brown butter and pour it into a glass container with 1 tablespoon of almond milk. The little extra liquid from the milk will help keep the cookies soft with crisp edges.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer add both the white sugar and dark brown sugar. Pour the brown butter over the top and mix on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the large bowl. Continue to mix until light and creamy, around 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil and allow the cookie dough to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, then Set aside.
- Take 1.5-2 Tablespoons of dough and roll the dough into a ball. Place the mound of dough onto one of the baking sheets about 2 inches apart. You will have 6 balls of dough per baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to rest on the pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Store the extra cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Tips To Make The BEST Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
For best results, follow the tips below.
- Do not skip chilling the dough prior to baking, this helps the cookies from spreading.
- Do not pack the flour! Weighing the flour and almond flour on a food scale offers more precision and better results.
- Choose premium chocolate chips. I love to use half semi-sweet and half dark chocolate.
- Use Dark Brown Sugar instead of light, as it provides both a rich flavor and softens the texture of the cookie.
- Optional: You can add a sprinkle of sea salt or extra semi-sweet chocolate chips to the cookies, straight out of the oven.
- Real Vanilla Extract: The right vanilla extract will provide so much flavor to your recipe. Make sure to choose one with alcohol. My favorite brand to use is Simply Organic.
DAIRY-FREE & NUT FREE
- I have substituted coconut oil and Vegan Butter Earth Balance Butter Sticks for those needing a dairy-free option with good results.
- Nestle Toll House has vegan white chocolate chips, that are free of the top-8 allergens.
- For nut allergies, you could replace the almond flour with 4 tablespoons of gluten-free flour, and leave out the macadamia nuts.
For More Tasty Cookie Recipes Check Out These Favorites Below:
- Gluten-Free White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Mint Cookies
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Crinkle Cookies (Dairy-Free)
- Gluten-Free Oatmeal Scotchies
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Crinkle Cookies (Dairy-Free)
Gluten-Free Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- ¾ cup organic dark brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups gluten-free flour, (205g)
- ¼ cup almond flour (25g)
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
Ingredients To Fold In
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the measured gluten-free flour, almond flour, baking soda, and salt. Set the bowl aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized frying pan over medium-low heat. Stir continuously as the butter begins to foam. Once the butter changes to a toasty brown color, quickly remove the pan from the heat and pour the brown butter into a large glass mixing bowl, making sure to scrape out all of the toasted butter. Add 1 tablespoon of milk to the brown butter and set it aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, combine the dark brown sugar, sugar, and brown butter. Mix together for 1 minute. Add in the egg and vanilla extract. Cream for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- At medium speed, slowly pour the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, continuing to mix until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Cover the dough with aluminum foil and chill the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Using a large cookie scoop or spoon, scoop the dough into cookie dough balls (about 1.5 tablespoons of dough per cookie) and place each ball of dough a few inches apart on the baking sheet. (You can also measure 35-40 grams of dough on a food scale, roll the dough into a ball and place the balls of dough onto the baking sheet.) Bake for 10 minutes, until golden and the center is set.
- Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling. Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.