This Gluten-Free Apple Butter is the BEST recipe ever! Made without any dairy, gluten, or refined sugar! Packed with rich maple flavor and hints of cinnamon spice.
Apple Butter is the perfect Fall condiment! Its smooth velvety texture pairs perfectly with toast, biscuits, ice cream, cheese, even pork! This recipe is super easy, using just a slow cooker to caramelize the apples, and an immersion blender or food processor to purée Unlike most apple butter recipes, there is no refined sugar, only wholesome ingredients you can feel good about serving your family.
This homemade recipe is great to use as gifts during the holiday season. You can make quite the presentation by storing the apple butter in little glass jars and fastening a ribbon near the top of the lid. If you want to get extra creative, print a festive label for the front of the jar.
Apple Butter Ingredients
This recipe used fresh wholesome ingredients without any refined sugar! For a Vegan option, use more maple syrup and leave out the honey!
- Apples: The best apples to use are gala ( my favorite ), honey crisp, pink lady, fuji, golden delicious, granny smith.
- Maple Syrup: Gives an intense sweet maple flavor.
- Honey: Cuts the maple helping to carmelize and provide a touch more sweetness to the recipe.
- Cinnamon: Provides a complementary flavor and spice.
- Vanilla: Helps to sweeten the apples.
- Lemon Juice: Gives a little acidity and tang.
- Salt: Helps bring out the sweetness.
How to Make Apple Butter
This recipe is simple, with easy directions to follow and only a handful of and ingredients. There's no peeling the apples which help save time and provides extra nutrients.
- Set the Slow Cooker to high.
- Chop and core the apples, no peeling!
- Place the apples in the slow cooker
- Add the maple syrup, honey, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and lemon juice.
- Stir the apples until they are fully coated. Cover with the lid.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the apple. You can also scoop the softened apples into a food processor or blender and purée for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Return to the slow cooker, and continue to cook on high for another 2 hours.
- Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- Spoon the apple butter into jars and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
For More Tasty Fall Recipes:
- Gluten-Free Apple Crumble Bars
- The Best Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread
- Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Chili
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bundt Cake
- Gluten-Free Fall Harvest Charcuterie Board
Gluten-Free Maple Apple Butter
- 8 large apples
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Wash and core the apples, dicing them into small chunks. No peeling!
- Place the apples into a large slow cooker, turning the temperature to high.
- In a glass measuring cup, add the honey and microwave the soften for 10 seconds. Pour the honey over the top of the apples.
- Apple the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker: maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt. Stir the apples until fully coated.
- Cover with a lid and cook on high for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours remove the lid and puree' with an immersion blender until smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender, you can use a blender or food processor to purée the apples, about 2 minutes on high speed.
- Return the purée to the crockpot, cover with the lid, and continue to cook on high for another 2 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker and allow the apple butter to come to room temperature.
- Store the apple butter in glass containers in the refrigerator, for up to two weeks.
Leave a Reply