This is hands down the BEST Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Pie ever! Perfectly sweetened with just the right amount of spice, made with no refined sugar, surrounded by a buttery flaky pie crust, and topped with an optional creamy marshmallow meringue.
Last year was all about Pumpkin Pie but this year's delicious alternative or (addition in my case) is the southern classic, homemade Sweet Potato Pie.
Sweet potato pie is one of the most coveted Thanksgiving desserts, in fact, most households have either pumpkin or sweet potato on the dessert table. The debate between pumpkin and sweet potato has gone on for years, just the same as dressing versus stuffing. But why settle for one when you can have both? One bite of this luscious, rich, decadent pie and you'll never look back. Its rich custard filling is sweetened with real maple syrup, no refined sugar, and packed with seasonal flavors; cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. The optional marshmallow meringue topping is the perfect finishing touch.
INGREDIENTS IN GLUTEN-FREE SWEET POTATO PIE
- Sweet Potatoes: Garnet Sweet Potatoes are my favorite option to use, but any sweet potato will work.
- Coconut Milk: Full-fat canned coconut milk works best in this pie. You could also use heavy cream.
- Butter: Unsalted butter or dairy-free butter work best.
- Maple Syrup: Real maple syrup helps sweeten this pie, no refined sugar!
- Eggs: 2 large eggs will help form this pie into a custard.
- Vanilla Extract: Real vanilla extract works best.
- Salt: For flavor.
- Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg: Primary flavors of the pie.
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN-FREE SWEET POTATO PIE
This rich creamy pie filling is super easy to make, just make sure you have enough prep time when roasting the sweet potatoes. If you plan to use unsweetened canned sweet potato filling, skip the roasting method below.
- Start by roasting the sweet potatoes in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour. Prep the sweet potatoes by washing the outer skin, then with a sharp knife make several slivers front and back to allow the potatoes to cook properly. Wrap each potato in tin foil, then place the potatoes on a baking sheet in the oven for 1 hour, or until fully baked through.
- Turn the oven down to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare your traditional pie crust recipe, then place it into a 9-inch pie pan. Set the dish aside.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through, measure out two cups worth in a large bowl or KitchenAid stand mixer, and mash the potatoes with a fork or hand mixer. You want the consistency to be smooth by not being fully puréed.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl: room temperature eggs, melted butter, maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla, salt, and spices. Mix together until well combined.
- Pour the sweet potato pie filling into the prepared gluten-free crust and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the filling is set.
- Once the filling is set, turn off the oven and crack open the door. Allow the pie to come to room temperature, resting in the oven.
- Once the pie has completely cooled, place it in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Serve with whipped cream or homemade marshmallow meringue. You can store this pie in the refrigerator for up to 5 days with tin foil or plastic wrap.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Here are some frequently asked questions to help guide you to making the perfect pie.
HOW DO I KNOW WHEN MY PIE IS FINISHED BAKING?
The center of the pie should have a slight jiggle and have an internal temperature of 175°F.
HOW DO I AVOID MY PIE FROM CRACKING?
Once the pie is fully cooked, turn off the oven and crack the door. Allowing the pie to slowly come down to room temperature will avoid any cracks.
CAN I MAKE THIS DAIRY-FREE?
Yes, dairy-free vegan butter or ghee works great in this recipe.
DO I HAVE TO ROAST THE SWEET POTATOES FOR THIS RECIPE?
No, you can use a 15 ounce can of unsweetened sweet potato purée. For best results, I highly recommend roasting your own sweet potatoes.
CAN YOU MAKE SWEET POTATO PIE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, with all of the holiday hustle and bustle you can rest assured that this pie can be made 48 hours in advance, and at the very least 12 hours in advance when serving the next day. This will give the pie ample time to cool, bring forth all of the delicious flavors.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PUMPKIN PIE AND SWEET POTATO PIE?
Other than the obvious, pumpkin versus sweet potatoes, these pies are made similarly with only slight variations. Sweet potato pie tends to be a bit lighter on the spices with more of a maple flavor coming through, while pumpkin pie uses bold spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and sometimes a dash of pepper!
LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT CRUST RECIPE?
Try my go-to easy-to-make gluten-free pie crust!
FOR MORE TASTY DESSERT OPTIONS, CHECK OUT THESE FAVORITES BELOW:
- GLUTEN-FREE PUMPKIN PIE
- GLUTEN-FREE PECAN PIE
- GLUTEN-FREE PUMPKIN BUNDT CAKE
- HOMEMADE MARSHMALLOW MERINGUE
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Pie With Marshmallow Meringue - No refined sugar
Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- 1¼ cup gluten-free flour (170g)
- ⅓ tablespoon unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons cold water
Sweet Potato Pie Filling
- 1½ pounds sweet potatoes 2 cups cooked mashed sweet potato
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Follow instructions for a 9-inch pie crust. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Prep the sweet potatoes by washing the outer skin, then with a sharp knife make several slivers front and back to allow the potatoes to cook properly. Wrap each potato in tin foil, then place the potatoes on a baking sheet in the oven for 1 hour, or until fully baked through.
- Remove the sweet potatoes and lower the oven temperature to 350°F. Peel the sweet potatoes and scoop out 2 cups worth of flesh into a large bowl. Add the maple syrup, coconut milk, melted butter, vanilla, and eggs. Beat for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- While mixing at low speed add the salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Pour the filling into the pie crust and place the pie on a baking sheet and into the oven for 50-55 minutes.
- You will know when the pie is done baking when the middle is just a tad bit wobbly. Once the pie is fully cooked turn off the oven and leave the oven door cracked open. Allow the oven to completely cool before removing the pie. Then place the pie on a wire rack to cool for 2 hours.
- After two hours, place the pie in the refrigerator for 4 hours. Add the meringue right before serving.