Gluten-Free Walnut Date Loaf, ultra-moist packed with dates, raisins, and crunchy walnuts. This retro bread is one of my most requested holiday recipes! Not only is this bread gluten-free but it is dairy-free too!
Growing up, every Christmas our neighbors would gift us a small walnut date loaf. It was something we looked forward to every year! The original recipes go back to the 1920s, also known as “Retro Date Nut Bread,” with many variations including soaking the fruit in brewed coffee instead of water.
This Gluten-Free Walnut Date Loaf has become a holiday staple in our house, and one of my most requested recipes! I hope you enjoy it too!
Ingredients in Gluten-Free Walnut Date Loaf
This bread is made with simple ingredients, and room for lots of variation. You can soak the fruit in boiling water or brewed coffee. Not a fan of nuts? No problem, leave them out.
- Dates: My favorite dates to use are Medjool dates.
- Raisins: They help provide texture and flavor
- Baking Soda: This is one of the important ingredients, you’ll want to make sure it’s not expired.
- Boiling Water: Helps to soften the fruit and moisten the bread.
- Oil: Helps to moisten the bread.
- Egg: Binding agent.
- Dark Brown Sugar: My preference is always dark brown sugar as it provides a stronger molasses flavor.
- Sugar: Helps sweeten the bread.
- Vanilla: Provides flavor.
- Gluten-Free Flour: My favorite brand is Bob Mills Gluten-Free 1 to 1 Flour.
- Almond Flour: The addition of almond flour helps provide more moisture.
- Baking Powder: Helps the bread to rise.
- Salt: Helps bring balance to the sweetness.
- Walnuts: For Texture.
How to Make Gluten-Free Walnut Date Loaf
Such an easy recipe to make! This bread is better served the next day and continues to moisten over time. It really is the perfect bread!
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease an 8½” x 4½” loaf pan or a 9×5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl add the dates, raisins, baking soda, and boiling water. Allow the fruit to soak for at least 10 minutes, do not drain.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the oil, brown sugar, and sugar for 30 seconds. Then add the egg and vanilla. Cream together for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients: gluten-free flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt. The batter will become crumbly.
- Pour the liquid and dried fruit mixture into the batter, mixing until well combined.
- Fold the walnuts into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes cover the loaf with aluminum foil and continue to bake another 15-25 minutes depending on loaf pan size.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and allow the bread to cool for one hour.
- Store the bread by tightly wrapping it in aluminum foil or a tightly sealed container.
Tips for the BEST Gluten-Free Walnut Date Loaf
Serve this bread by itself or slathered in cream cheese!
- Serve this bread the next day, if you can resist. The bread stores nicely wrapped twice in aluminum foil, which helps lock in moisture. Day two and three are the best time to have this bread.
- This bread is wonderfully served by itself or with cream cheese. Afternoon tea or a slice after dinner, there no right time to have a slice.
- For the best flavor make sure the dates, raisins, and baking soda are not expired.
- The baking soda helps moisten the bread and the fruit, make sure the baking soda has not expired. You will know that the baking soda is fresh once it fizzes in the warm water.
- You can make mini loaves as gifts! Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For More Tasty Bread Recipes Click The Links Below
Gluten-Free Walnut Date Loaf (Dairy-Free)
- 1 ½ cups chopped dates
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, refined
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease an 8½" x 4½" loaf pan or a 9x5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, add the chopped dates and raisins. Pour the boiling water over the fruit mixture and add one teaspoon of baking soda. Allow fruit to soak at least 10 minutes, do not drain.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the oil, brown sugar, and sugar for 30 seconds. Add the egg and vanilla. Cream together for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- At low speed, slowly add the gluten-free flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt. The mix will become crumbly.
- Once all the dry ingredients are added pour in the fruit mixture with the liquid. Mix until well combined. Fold in the walnuts, then pour the batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. About halfway through, cover the loaf with aluminum to avoid over-browning and continue to bake another 20 minutes, or until the center comes out clean with a toothpick.
- Remove the loaf from the oven. Cool completely before slicing, then store in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for several days.