Honey Roasted Rainbow Carrots are made to perfection, seasoned with a little salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of fresh thyme. These easy glazed rainbow carrots can be made in less than 45 minutes, perfect for weeknight dinners and holiday meals.
Honey roasted rainbow carrots are simple yet elegant. This colorful side dish is caramelized to perfection with a combination of seasonings, melted butter, and honey. Naturally gluten-free, this healthy recipe can be adapted for dairy-free, paleo, and vegan needs.
You are going to love the simplicity of this recipe! Even picky eaters in your house will be asking for a second helping. We tend to serve these during the holidays along with my roasted rosemary potatoes, corn casserole, and green bean casserole.
- Rainbow Carrots: Rainbow carrots are also known as tri-colored carrots and multicolored carrots. They come in a variety of colors, typically purple, white, yellow, and orange.
- Butter: Melted unsalted butter, vegan butter, ghee, or Butter Flavored Coconut Oil works well in this recipe. You could even use brown butter for more of a caramel-like nutty flavor.
- Oil: The extra virgin olive oil helps caramelize the carrots at high heat.
- Honey: Honey gives the carrots a sweet caramel-like flavor. You can replace the honey with real maple syrup for a vegan option.
- Garlic Powder: A pinch of garlic powder gives balance to the savory-sweet notes.
- Salt: Salt helps bring out all of the flavors while balancing the sweetness.
- Black Pepper: Black pepper gives these carrots a hint of spice.
- Thyme: For best results use fresh thyme! You could also use fresh rosemary or chopped parsley.
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Peel and diagonally cut the whole carrots into 3-4 pieces, depending on the size and thickness of the carrot. Each piece should be around 1"-1.5" in length.
Add the butter to a small glass bowl. Place the bowl in the microwave for 15-30 seconds, or until fully melted. Pour the butter and remaining ingredients directly over the carrots, and toss until the carrots are fully coated.
Line a large baking sheet pan with aluminum foil.
Spread the carrots out evenly on the baking sheet in a single layer.
Roast for 20 minutes, flip the carrots, then roast another 15 minutes ( 35 minutes total).
Remove the carrots from the oven and garnish them with more thyme. Serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do rainbow carrots taste different than regular carrots?
The taste between regular orange carrots and rainbow carrots is very subtle and really only noticed when eaten raw. Overall, these colorful carrots roasted taste very similar to orange carrots, therefore you shouldn't notice a difference.
What do rainbow carrots taste like?
The yellow and white carrots tend to be a bit sweeter while the purple carrots have more of a peppery taste, similar to a radish. Depending on where you get your carrots also makes a big difference in flavor. Fresh garden carrots hold a stronger more earthy flavor while those in the grocery store tend to be a bit milder.
What is the best way to cut whole carrots?
Make sure you have a sharp knife to help promote easy cutting. I like to cut the carrots into thirds or fourths diagonally, depending on the size. Each piece cut should be about 1"-1.5" in length. From there, cut the thicker carrots in half for overall even cooking.
Tips For the Best Oven Roasted Roasted Rainbow Carrots
- For Reheating: These easy roasted rainbow carrots are best served warm, right out of the oven. They can however be reheated in the microwave until they warmed through, prior to serving.
- Don't Forget to Flip The Carrots: Flipping the carrots halfway through the cooking time will help ensure each side bakes evenly.
- Fresh is Best: Make sure to use fresh carrots for the best results.
Honey Roasted Rainbow Carrots
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, extra for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet pan with aluminum foil and set it aside.
- Peel and diagonally cut the whole carrots into 3-4 pieces, depending on the size and thickness of the carrot. Each piece should be around 1"-1.5" in length. For thicker carrots, cut the pieces in half to promote even cooking. Place the carrots in a large bowl.
- Add the butter to a small glass bowl. Place the bowl in the microwave for 15-30 seconds, or until fully melted. Pour the butter and remaining ingredients directly over the carrots, and toss until the carrots are fully coated. (If the honey is too thick, melt it in the microwave as well then pour over the carrots.)
- Spread the carrots out evenly on the baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 20 minutes, flip the carrots, then roast another 15 minutes (35 minutes total).
- Remove the carrots from the oven and garnish them with a little bit more thyme. Serve.
- Store any leftover in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.