These crispy Roasted Rainbow Potatoes are the perfect side dish to compliment your holiday table. Seasoned with garlic, fresh rosemary, olive oil, and a hint of butter, these colored potatoes are packed full of flavor.
Rainbow potatoes are a mix of different varieties of potatoes including purple potatoes, fingerlings, Yukon golds, and red bliss. Each potato has its own distinctive flavor, texture, and color. These herb-flavored potatoes are roasted to perfection with a buttery crisp outside and soft, tender center. I love incorporating one white sweet potato to the mix which adds an element of surprise. The subtle sweetness of the white sweet potato compliments this dish so well.
We love serving this easy side dish for dinner alongside my Honey Dijon Mustard Chicken Thighs, during the holiday season with my Gluten-free Corn Casserole, Gluten-Free Stuffing, and Honey Roasted Rainbow Carrots.
- Rainbow Potatoes: These colorful potatoes, also known as "Tri-Colored Potatoes" can be found at most grocery stores. The combination often consists of several different kinds of potatoes including small-size fingerlings, Yukon gold potatoes, purple potatoes, and small red potatoes.
- White Sweet Potatoes: They have a sweet nutty flavor that pairs well with the savory tri-colored potatoes. If you can not find a white sweet potato you could always use a garnet or jewel sweet potato instead.
- Olive Oil: This will help the potatoes to crisp up while roasting.
- Butter: For the extra crisp buttery flavor I recommend using a small amount of butter. For dairy-free/ vegan options, you can use a buttery substitute or extra olive oil.
- Fresh Rosemary: The best part of this recipe is the flavor of the minced fresh rosemary.
- Garlic Powder: We use garlic powder but you can always use garlic cloves.
- Salt: Salt helps bring the flavors together.
- Black Pepper: Just a pinch of black pepper for spice.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Prep the potatoes. Peel and dice the white sweet potato. Cut the rainbow potatoes in half or quarters (depending on size) and place everything in a mixing bowl with olive oil, melted butter, garlic powder, minced rosemary, salt, and pepper. Toss everything together until well coated.
Step 2: Transfer the potatoes to a large baking sheet. Spread them out in a single layer, cut side down.
Step 3: Roast the potatoes. Place the tray in the oven for 45-55 minutes, stirring halfway through, until golden brown and tender.
Step 4: Serve. Place the potato wedges in a large bowl with a pinch of freshly minced rosemary on top.
To Store: Place extra potatoes in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, for up to 4 days.
To Reheat: The potatoes can be reheated in the microwave until warm.
For the crispiest potatoes, start by placing them on an unlined sheet pan cut side down for half of the cooking time. One side will get nice and crispy.
Boiling is not recommended for this recipe.
Each potato has a different amount of pigment and flavonoids which give them their color.
Roasted Rainbow Potatoes with Rosemary (Colored Potatoes)
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Step 2: Prep the potatoes. Peel and dice the white sweet potato. Cut the rainbow potatoes in half or quarters (depending on size) and place everything in a mixing bowl with olive oil, melted butter, garlic powder, minced rosemary, salt, and pepper. Toss everything together until well coated.
- Step 3: Transfer the potatoes to a large baking sheet. Spread them out in a single layer, cut side down.
- Step 4: Roast the potatoes. Place the tray in the oven for 45-55 minutes, stirring halfway through, until golden brown and tender.
- Step 5: Serve. Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl. Sprinkle a little extra rosemary on top before serving.