These Gluten-Free Rosemary Roasted Potatoes are the perfect side dish complementary to any meal. Seasoned with fresh rosemary, olive oil, and a hint of butter, this potato mixture also has both tri-colored potatoes and white sweet potatoes for the ultimate flavor.
Whenever I cook with rosemary I instantly think of the holidays, both Thanksgiving and Christmas. While this delicious potato dish would be perfect for any holiday dinner, we often make these potatoes throughout the week for easy lunches or mid-week dinners. It’s comfort food made with healthier simple ingredients you can feel good serving your family. For all the potato lovers out there, this recipe is for you.
Rosemary Roasted Potato Ingredients
These delicious potatoes are made with minimal ingredients, including fresh rosemary, tri-colored potatoes, and Hannah white sweet potatoes.
Tri-colored Potatoes: These colorful potatoes, also known as “Rainbow Potatoes” create quite the presentation. The combination often consists of Yukon gold potatoes, purple, and red potatoes.
Hannah White Sweet Potatoes: White sweet potatoes are a personal favorite of mine. They have a sweet nutty flavor that pairs well with the savory tri-colored potatoes. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, but I find two large potatoes provide enough flavor in this recipe. Although sometimes difficult to find, I highly recommend using them.
Olive Oil: This will help the potatoes to crisp up while roasting.
Butter: I often use butter-flavored coconut oil in a lot of recipes, but you can use melted butter or ghee in its place.
Fresh Rosemary: The best part of this recipe is the flavor of the fresh rosemary. Fresh is always best when it comes to cooking or baking with certain herbs.
Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder: These three seasonings provide the best flavor for the potato wedges. A little salt goes a long way, so start with just 1 teaspoon and season according to your taste.
HOW TO MAKE ROSEMARY ROASTED POTATOES
To create this savory side dish, peel and cut the potatoes into quarters or halves, toss the potatoes in olive oil, butter, and seasonings, and roast for 40 minutes. For a large crowd, you can easily double this recipe for a big batch, just make sure to use separate baking trays.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking tray with aluminum foil or parchment paper for easy clean-up, and set it aside.
- Cut and peel the white sweet potatoes into quarter-size chunks, and the tri-colored potatoes into halves and quarters depending on size. Place the potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil, melted butter, fresh rosemary, and seasonings to the bowl. Toss the potatoes until fully coated.
- Dump the potatoes onto the lined baking sheet, spreading them out into a single even layer.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes or until light golden brown. Stir the potatoes halfway through so that all sides are cooked evenly.
HOW DO YOU KEEP ROASTED POTATOES CRISPY?
The best way to ensure you get a crispy potato is to place the potatoes in the preheated oven, cut side down for at least half of the baking time. Also, make sure to cook them at medium-high heat, at least 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and serve them straight from the oven. The timing is important to keep in mind, as the potatoes will easily lose their crispiness when coming to room temperature. Try to plan to cook the recipe around the same time as the main dish. You can however re-roast the potatoes for around 10-15 minutes before serving, turning halfway through.
WHAT TO EAT WITH ROASTED POTATOES?
This simple recipe can be served in a variety of ways including Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas dinner, weekly lunches, brunch, and other special occasions. Some meat options that would go well with the side dish include turkey, chicken, steak, or salmon pair well with this side dish. For a brunch option, I like to serve these potatoes with my:
TOPPING CHOICES TO PAIR WITH ROASTED POTATOES
Right before serving I like to add just a pinch more of freshly chopped rosemary to the top of the potatoes.
You could also add:
- Sour Cream
- Parmesan Cheese
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Hot Sauce
- Nutritional Yeast
For Other Tasty Sides, Click The Links Below:
Gluten-Free Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
- 3 lbs tri-colored potatoes
- 2 large hannah white-sweet potatoes optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon "Butter-flavored" coconut oil, ghee, or unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line one large baking sheet with tin foil, then set the sheet aside.
- With a vegetable peeler and cutting board, peel the white sweet potatoes. Then chop both the sweet potatoes into quarter-inch pieces, and the tri-colored potatoes in half or quarters depending on size. Place the potatoes in a large bowl.
- Pour the oil, butter, seasonings, and chopped rosemary over the top of the potatoes and toss until the potatoes are well coated. Then dump the potatoes on the lined baking sheet spreading them in a single layer. Place them in the oven for 40-50 minutes, tossing them halfway through. Potatoes should be browned and crisp.
- Remove the pan from the oven and serve immediately.