These crispy but tender juicy honey mustard chicken thighs are topped with a delicious honey mustard sauce made with fresh herbs and spices. Baked to perfection in under 1 hour.
This Honey Dijon Mustard Chicken Recipe is an easy healthy meal to whip up for lunches or during busy weeknights throughout the week. The bone-in chicken thighs have crispy golden skin and a juicy tender center, topped with a delicious sweet honey mustard sauce full of fresh herbs. Trust me, you are going to want this dish on a regular rotation.
If you love this easy chicken recipe, check out my other chicken recipes: Cranberry Roasted Chicken, Orange Chicken, and Yellow Chicken Curry.
Why you will love this recipe
Easy recipe: This honey dijon chicken recipe can be made in under 1 hour.
Healthy ingredients: Here we use a simple sauce made with healthy ingredients the whole family will love.
Amazing flavor! The depth of flavor in this honey mustard sauce is unlike any other. Savory sweet with a hint of spice.
- Bone-in chicken thighs: I recommend using bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. You'll get deliciously crispy skin with a juicy center.
- Honey: I love using organic raw honey.
- Mustard: I used a combination of stone ground mustard and Dijon mustard, which in my opinion gives the best flavor and texture in this creamy sauce.
- Minced garlic: A little bit of fresh garlic gives this dish a beautiful herbaceous flavor. You could also use ½ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: Just one tablespoon of olive oil helps keep the chicken moist, and the skin extra crisp.
- Fresh herbs: For best results, I recommend using fresh herbs. They make the sauce incredibly flavorful.
- Salt and black pepper: A pinch of salt and pepper helps bring out all of the flavors in the sauce.
Prep the chicken. Place the chicken thighs in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Pat them dry with a paper towel. This will help to ensure crispier skin!
Pro Tip: Allow them to rest at room temperature for 15-20 minutes helps with even cooking and extra crispness.
Make the sauce. In a small bowl, stir together the honey, mustard, minced garlic, olive oil, mined rosemary, minced thyme, salt, and pepper.
Coat the chicken. Brush or spoon the honey mustard sauce over the top of the chicken thighs, evenly coating each piece.
Bake the chicken thighs. Place the chicken thighs in the oven at 350°F to bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and registers 175°F.
Broil for 2-3 minutes to brown and crisp the tops.
What to serve with honey dijon mustard chicken?
This savory sweet dish can be made a complete meal when adding in a side of roasted carrots, roasted potatoes, mashed cauliflower, or roasted brussel sprouts. Pair with a glass of white wine, such as sauvignon blanc, or pinot grigo.
- Add more honey - If you want a sweeter honey mustard sauce, add another 1-2 tablespoons of honey, per your preference. Not a fan of honey? You could also use organic maple syrup for a maple dijon chicken version.
- Mustard- I love using the combination of Dijon mustard and stone-ground mustard but feel free to use all Dijon or all stone-ground if you do not want to buy two separate mustards.
- Dried herbs - I highly recommend using fresh herbs if available, otherwise use ¾ teaspoon of dried rosemary and ¼ teaspoon of dried thyme. You can also use 1 teaspoon of Italian herbs.
- To store: Leftover chicken thighs can be enjoyed throughout the week by storing them in a glass airtight container, in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To reheat: Reheat this chicken dish in the microwave or oven at 350°F until warm.
- To freeze: Store leftovers in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Allow the chicken thighs to thaw in the refrigerator the day before you plan to use them.
I would recommend using all stone ground mustard, dijon mustard, or a combination of both. I would not recommend yellow mustard for this creamy mustard sauce.
Bone-in juicy chicken thighs give an overall better flavor and texture, but you can use boneless chicken thighs or breasts.
Just make sure to adjust the baking time. Boneless skinless chicken breasts and boneless thighs should have an internal temperature reaching 165°F, which will be achieved in about 30 minutes.
The best way to ensure the chicken is fully cooked is by using an instant-read thermometer. The minimum temperature of the cooked chicken should be 175°F (80°C).
Baked Honey Dijon Mustard Chicken Thighs Recipe
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons (42g) honey
- 2 tablespoons (30g) stone ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons (30g) Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Prep the chicken. Place the chicken thighs in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Pat them dry with a paper towel. This will help to ensure crispier skin! Pro Tip: Allow them to rest at room temperature for 15-20 minutes helps with even cooking and extra crispness.
- Make the sauce. In a small bowl, stir together the honey, mustard, minced garlic, olive oil, mined rosemary, minced thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Coat the chicken. Brush or spoon the honey mustard sauce over the top of the chicken thighs, evenly coating each piece.
- Bake the chicken thighs. Place the chicken thighs in the oven at 350°F to bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and registers 175°F. Turn the oven to high broil.Broil the thighs for 2-3 minutes until the tops are brown and crisp.
Rebecca does it again!!!!! 🙌🏼 This super, easy dish is so delicious!!! A family favorite… even our babies can’t get enough of this recipe! The chicken is so moist and the flavors are abundant!! Perfectly paired with ANY side!! 10/10!!