Gluten-Free Zuppa Toscana Soup, filled with chunks of white sweet potatoes, spicy sausage, and kale. This hearty soup is perfect during the cooler months, and not only is it gluten-free but dairy-free as well!
This healthy spin on the Olive Garden classic soup is one of our favorite meals to make during the winter season. It’s filled with wholesome ingredients you can feel good about serving your family, and yet it tastes just like the original recipe, maybe even better!
Gluten-Free Zuppa Toscana Ingredients
- Yellow Onion
- White Sweet Potatoes
- Spicy Italian Sausage
- Chicken Broth
- Coconut Milk
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Gluten-Free Zuppa Toscana
- In a large frying pan, sauté the onions in oil for 5-8 minutes, then add the spicey sausage.
- Using a wooden spoon, break up the sausage into small crumbles, and cook until fully browned.
- Drain the fat of the onion/sausage mixture with a colander.
- Add the mixture to a large pot.
- Peel and chop the potatoes, then add the potatoes to the large pot along with the remaining ingredients, minus the kale.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the boil to a simmer and cover the pot for 15 minutes.
- Add the kale to the pot and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
Tips For The Best Zuppa Toscana
- To keep the kale bright green, you will want to add it at the end of the simmer and cook until just wilted.
- White sweet potatoes, also known as Hannah White Sweet Potatoes, have a sweet nutty flavor that pairs lovely with this soup. If they are difficult to find, you can substitute them for Yukon Potatoes or Red Potatoes.
- The spicy sausage can be challenging to find gluten-free. Just make sure to read the back of the ingredients before purchasing. We used a brand called Cantellasn Hot Italian Sausage, found at our local Safeway.
For Other Tasty Recipes, Click The Links Below
Gluten-Free Zuppa Toscana Soup (Dairy-Free)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound ground spicy Italian sausage
- 4 cups white sweet potatoes (peeled and diced) about 2-3 large potatoes.
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 cups kale (chopped and de-stemmed)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large frying pan on medium heat add the oil, diced onions, and a splash of water. Cover the pan with a lid and sauté the onions until translucent, around 5-8 minutes.
- Add the ground sausage to the pan and cook until fully browned, breaking up the pieces with a spoon into small crumbles.
- Once the meat has browned, drain the fat with a colander then pour the onion and meat mixture in a large pot. Set aside.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add the potatoes and remaining ingredients to the pot, minus the kale.
- On high heat bring the soup to a boil. Once the soup begin to boil, reduce the heat, cover the pot with a lid, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add the kale to the pot and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.