These delicious Gluten-Free Chicken Lettuce Wraps are a healthier version of the PF Changs classic appetizer. Full of flavor and made without any gluten, dairy, or msg!
Unlike most chicken lettuce wrap recipes, this one is made with zero hoisin sauce! Hoisin sauce is the thick brown glaze used in a lot of Asian cuisines, often paired with stir-fries, beef, and chicken. It gives a unique salty-sweet flavor, but the ingredients are not very clean. In this recipe, you’ll find a secret ingredient to help replicate that delicious hoisin flavor.
Can you guess what it is?
Believe it or not, it’s just a touch of organic blackstrap molasses! One tablespoon goes a long way, bringing to life a traditional flavorful tasting recipe.
Gluten-Free Chicken Lettuce Wrap Ingredients
This recipe is made with wholesome ingredients, both gluten, dairy, and msg-free.
- Chicken: You can use chicken thighs, breast, turkey, or beef.
- Oil: I love to use garlic-infused oil.
- Mushrooms: For both texture and flavor.
- Onion: For both texture and flavor.
- Chestnuts: Provides a nice crunch.
- Green Onion: For Flavor.
- Lettuce: Butter Lettuce works well.
- Coconut Aminos: A gluten-free soy sauce substitute.
- Black Strap Molasses: Hoisin sauce replacement.
- Rice Vinegar: Acid to help balance the flavors.
- Minced Garlic: For flavor
- Chili Sauce: For heat.
- Ginger: For flavor.
- Salt: Helps bring out the sweetness.
How to Make Gluten-Free Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Dice the onion, green onion, mushrooms, and chestnuts into small pieces, then add the vegetables to a large frying pan with oil.
- Cover the frying pan with a lid, and steam/ sauté the vegetables for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Add in the ground chicken. Cook through, and use a wooden spoon to break up with chicken into crumbles.
- In a medium-size bowl, add in all of the ingredients to create the sauce. Reserve 1/4 of the sauce to use later.
- Once the chicken has fully cooked, pour the sauce over the chicken.
- When ready to serve, spoon a few tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto a fully washed lettuce cup. Add the sauce as needed.
Tips For The BEST Chicken Lettuce Recipe
- Avoiding Soggy Lettuce: Do not assemble the wraps prior to serving. Instead, have the guests serve themselves, storing the chicken mixture in a small bowl with a spoon, and placing the lettuce wraps folded neatly onto a platter. This will allow the lettuce to stay crisp and not soggy.
- Best lettuce to use: Iceberg, Butter, or Romaine.
- What to do if I can’t find ground Chicken?: If you have a food processor, throw 1 package of raw or cooked chicken in a food processor and pulse into a crumble. Another option would be to dice the raw chicken into tiny pieces.
For Other Tasty Recipes, Click The Links Below
Gluten-Free Chicken Lettuce Wraps (Dairy-Free)
For The Filling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons green onion
- 1 pound ground chicken
For The Sauce
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 head butter lettuce
- Dice the onion, green onion, mushrooms, and chestnuts into small pieces. Place the vegetables into a large frying pan with a tablespoon of oil.
- On medium heat, cover the pan with a lid and steam/sauté for around 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes until the vegetables are tender. Once the vegetables are cooked through, add the ground chicken. Continue to cook until the chicken has fully browned.
- In a small bowl whisk together the ingredients for the sauce. Reserve a quarter of the sauce for later, then pour the remaining sauce over the chicken mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until fully coated.
- Serve immediately by spooning a few tablespoons of the chicken onto a fully washed lettuce cup. Add extra sauce as needed.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.